When and Where: September 7, 2019 – Manchester, N.H. (Saint Anselm College)
Distance: Women's race, 5K
Results: Southern New Hampshire University – 1st/3 (28)
The Penmen opened the season with its first-ever win at the 2019 Shacklette claiming the top two spots, and four of the top eight. This year's event brought together runners from SNHU, Saint Anselm College and Saint Michael's College.
- Sophomore Ashley Corcoran (East Longmeadow, Mass.) breezed to a new personal best of 19:01.24 for the 5k to win the race.
- Sophomore Grace Henson (Cumberland, R. I.) finished second in 19:38.6.
- Newcomer Lydia Mathson (Nashua, N.H.) wound up seventh in 20:30.93.
- Junior Maura Coakley (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) and grad student Madison Brand (Valhalla, N.Y.) also earned points for the Penmen.
- SNHU finished second to Merrimack at the 2018 Shacklette.
- This was the 38th running of the event which started in 1982. Saint Anselm (31) and Saint Michael's College (74) also participated.
- SNHU's Jill Couto (Newton Junction, N.H.), who's not running for the school this fall, ran unattached and finished fifth in 20:04.44.
- The Penmen will compete at the Paul Short Invitational at Lehigh University on Saturday, October 5, 2019.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.