When and Where: September 15, 2018 – Manchester, N.H. (Stan Spirou Field House)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 3, Assumption 0
Records: SNHU 2-7 (1-1 NE10), Assumption 0-8 (0-2 NE10)
Juniors Baylee Lippincott (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Amanda Costales (Wantagh, N.Y.) each notched 10 kills to lead the Southern New Hampshire University women's volleyball team to a 3-0 (25-21, 25-18, 25-19) victory in its NE10 home opener Saturday afternoon at the Stan Spirou Field House.
- Costales, who reached a season high with the 10 kills, hit .320 and added seven digs. Lippincott made just one error to hit .409, to go along with a pair of blocks.
- Senior Jessica Dillon (Burnt Hills, N.Y.) turned in a double-double with 30 assists and 14 digs, while chipping in two service aces and three kills on .375 hitting.
- Senior Shaira Sanabria (Bayamon, Puerto Rico) collected 17 digs.
- Junior Jaclyn Maguire (Rochester, N.Y.) posted six kills and five digs.
- Senior Priscila Castro (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) chimed in with four kills and 12 digs.
- Freshman Ramona Fontaine (Chelsea, Mass.) tallied four kills, four digs and two blocks, while sophomore Irem Bat (Istanbul, Turkey) also added four kills.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening set was tied at 20-all when two kills from Costales, one from Lippincott and a final from Maguire made it 24-20 in favor of the Penmen. After Assumption grabbed a point back, another Lippincott kill finished it off to put the hosts up, 1-0.
- Southern New Hampshire scored the first five points of the second set and led, 15-12, when a 6-1 spurt opened the advantage to 21-13. Assumption would chip away and pull within 23-18, but two more points, including another Lippincott kill, made it 2-0.
- The Greyhounds, who trailed by as many as eight points in the final set, came back to make it 19-17 before a 6-2 run, which included a match-clinching kill from Fontaine, gave the Penmen the win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Assumption outhit SNHU in each of the first two sets, while the Penmen owned a .200-.137 advantage
- The win for the Penmen snaps a five-match skid.
- The Penmen return action Thursday, Sept. 20 (7 p.m.) when they take on Merrimack College.
- The next home match for Southern New Hampshire is Tuesday, Sept. 25 (7 p.m.) when it plays host to in-state rival Franklin Pierce University at the Field House.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.