When and Where: August 25, 2018 – Manchester, N.H. (Stoutenburgh Gymnasium)
Score: Shepherd University 3, Southern New Hampshire University 1
Records: Shepherd 2-0, SNHU 0-1
Sophomore Irem Bat (Istanbul, Turkey) notched a double-double of 14 kills and 11 digs, but the Southern New Hampshire University women's volleyball team suffered a 3-1 (25-19, 15-25, 25-22, 25-211) loss to Shepherd University on Saturday night at Saint Anselm College's Stoutenburgh Gymnasium.
- Bat was the only Penmen in double figures in kills, hitting .244 to go along with a trio of service aces.
- Senior Jessica Dillon (Burnt Hills, N.Y.) also recorded a double-double with 25 assists and 13 digs.
- Junior Baylee Lippincott (Phoenix, Ariz.) posted nine kills and four digs.
- Senior Shaira Sanabria (Bayamon, Puerto Rico) racked up a career-best 23 digs and tallied three service aces.
- Juniors Amanda Costales (Wantagh, N.Y.) and Jaclyn Maguire (Rochester, N.Y.) added seven and six kills, respectively.
- Sophomore Joanne Coffey (Merrimack, N.H.) narrowly missed a double-double with 11 helpers and nine digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening set was even at 19-all when Shepherd reeled off the final six points, with two kills each from Peyton Linbald and Olivia Waszak, to take a 1-0 lead.
- SNHU trailed, 9-7, in the second set when a pair of service aces and a kill from Bat, as well as three service aces from Sanabria, carried a monster run that put it on top, 19-9. Bat then used a trio of kills to secure three of the four final points of the set for the Penmen.
- The Rams led, 5-4, in the third, when a 15-5 flurry opened a commanding 20-9 advantage. Contributions from four different Penmen carried a 10-3 counter-run, but Shepherd would nail down the final two points it needed to push SNHU to the brink.
- In the final set, a pair of Maguire kills guided the Penmen to an early 6-3 lead, but Shepherd would notch five straight later in the stanza to open a 22-18 advantage. SNHU would get as close as a pair at 23-21, but the Rams again recorded the final two points to end it.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Shepherd outhit SNHU in three of the four sets, as well as .218-.167 for the match.
- The Penmen held a .276-.143 advantage in the second set.
- The Rams owned a 16-8 margin blocks.
- Southern New Hampshire falls in its opener for just the second time since 2012.
- Bat's 14 kills are the most for a player in their first match in a Penmen uniform since Carolyn Scacchi '18 also tallied 14 against Merrimack on Sept. 4, 2014.
- The Penmen return to action Sunday (Aug. 26) when they open their home slate by hosting a tri-match at the Stan Spirou Field House. SNHU will open the day against Stonehill College (1 p.m.) before closing it against Saint Anselm at 4:30 p.m.
- Saint Anselm takes on Shepherd in the middle match at 2:30 p.m.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.