When and Where: April 23, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Stadium)
Score: No. 3 Le Moyne College 24, Southern New Hampshire University 10
Records: SNHU 4-10 (3-8 Northeast-10 Conference), Le Moyne 13-2 (10-1 Northeast-10 Conference)
Freshman Tristan Pietz (Dudley, Mass.) tallied four points on a pair of goals and two assists, but an 18-goal, first-half barrage propelled No. 3 Le Moyne College past the Southern New Hampshire University men's lacrosse team on Tuesday, 24-10.
- Graduate student Bryan Noyes (Wilmington, Mass.) and senior Tom Schutz (Trumbull, Conn.) each scored a pair of goals in the final game of their respective careers.
- Senior Joseph Mayernik (Pearl River, N.Y.) added a goal and an assist in his final appearance in a Penmen uniform.
- Freshman Jeremy Handman (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) scored twice while classmate Pat Quinn (Billerica, Mass.) had a two-point day on a goal and a helper.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Dolphins opened the contest with a 6-0 run that spanned the first 8:45 of play, with Josh Slowinski and Matt Hutchings each scoring twice during that stretch.
- Pietz broke through for the Penmen with 4:40 left to play in the opening stanza when he potted his 13th of the year to trim the deficit to five.
- After Le Moyne closed out the first with back-to-back scores to increase its advantage to an 8-1 margin, Riley Larson extended the lead to eight goals 1:06 into the second.
- Mayernik set up Schutz with 13:27 left in the half before Handman's first of the day was sandwiched around another Dolphin goal to make it 10-3 at 4:49.
- Le Moyne put the game out of reach with a nine-goal run that covered the remainder of the first half and stretched into the first 1:43 of the second half, which ballooned the score to 19-3.
- Schutz tallied his second at 4:41, and after two more Dolphin scores, Noyes drilled home his first of the afternoon with 2:12 left in the third.
- Le Moyne closed out the third quarter with another score before Southern New Hampshire opened the fourth with a three-goal burst. Noyes opened the scoring just under five minutes in before Quinn, who fed Noyes, found the back of the cage midway through. Pietz capped the run with his second of the day at 9:48 to bring the score to 24-8.
- The two teams traded scores to close out the affair with Handman netting his second with 2:01 remaining before Mayernik provided the final margin of scoring with 10 seconds left.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The two sides split 38 faceoff attempts with senior Andrew Liu (Piedmont, Calif.) leading the way for SNHU with 16 wins in his 32 trips to the x.
- The Dolphins outshot the Penmen, 50-39, overall and 44-29 in shots on goal.
- Le Moyne held a slight edge in ground balls (36-32) while Southern New Hampshire caused five turnovers compared to two by the visitors.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.