When and Where: November 30, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (The Ice Den)
Score: Morrisville 4, Southern New Hampshire University 1
Records: Morrisville 5-3-0, SNHU 6-3-0
Freshman George Thurston (Plymouth, Mass.) scored his team-leading eighth goal, but SNHU fell to Morrisville 4-1 in the Manchester PAL/Stovepipe Ice Hockey Tournament Saturday at The Ice Den. The Penmen will play UMass Dartmouth Sunday at 4:50 p.m. in the consolation game.
- Christian Vella put Morrisville on the board at 6:04 in the first, and extended the lead with a goal about five minutes later by Rich Hart.
- The Penmen fell behind 3-0 at 1:21 of the second period on a goal by Jestin Somero.
- SNHU finally hit the board in a five-on-three situation at 14:14 of the second period. Thurston tipped in a blast by sophomore Joe Fiorino (Willow Grove, Pa.) off a pass by sophomore Gustaf Arfelt (Stockholm, Sweden).
- The only other goal in the game was an empty net score by Ben Sprague of Morrisville in the game's final minute.
- Senior Mustang netminder Jared Young stopped 35 of 36 shots to earn the win.
- The Penmen started sophomore JT Kossakowski (Elburn, Ill.), who settled down after the rough start to record 22 saves.
- SNHU's power-play, which has been so effective this season, was just 1-for-9 in the game. Morrisville went 0-for-6.
- The Penmen outshot Morrisville 36-26, with a 25-14 advantage over the final two periods.
- It was the first meeting Southern New Hampshire and Morrisville.
- The Penmen have dropped back-to-back games for the first time this season.
- The PAL Cup Championship Game will be played at 1:50 p.m. Sunday with the Morrisville Mustangs taking on the Wentworth Leopards. Wentworth turned back UMass Dartmouth 7-2 in Saturday's second game. Neither school has played in the PAL Cup before, so there will be a first-time champion.
- The Penmen and UMass Dartmouth will play at 4:50 p.m. in the consolation contest. It will be the 55th all-time meeting in a series dominated by the Corsairs. The teams last played in the 2015 Stovepipe - UMass Dartmouth won 3-0.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.