When and Where: November 16, 2018 – Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 3, Assumption College 2
Records: SNHU 4-2-1 (NE10 2-1-1), Assumption 6-2-0 (NE10 1-2-0)
SNHU scored three second period goals to erase an early 2-0 deficit and held on for a 3-2 win in Friday's NE10 Conference game at Assumption College.
- Senior Brett Strawn (Wareham, Mass.) tallied the game-winning goal at 9:20 of the second period.
- Freshman Jake Cox (Columbus, Ga.), who recorded a hat trick in the win over Stonehill on Tuesday, scored his fifth goal of the season.
- Freshman Charlie Davis (Milton, Mass.) scored his second goal of the season to tie the game in the second period.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Assumption scored two goals late in the first period to open the scoring. Dante Maribito tallied at 15:08 and Matt Damelio scored at 19:34.
- The Greyhounds outshot the Penmen 18-8 in the middle period, but the Penmen scored three times in the stanza to rally for the lead, and eventually the win.
- Freshman Jake Cox scored at 1:52 to make it 2-1. Freshman Cole Stewart (Alpharetta, Ga.) provided the assist.
- The game-tying goal by freshman Charlie Davis came at 6:51 of the period. He scored unassisted to make it 2-2.
- Senior Brett Strawn scored the game-winning goal at 9:20 of the second period from freshman Joe Fiorino (Willow Grove, Pa.) and senior Chris Moquin (Hooksett, N.H.)
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- SNHU won despite being outshot by the Greyhounds 49-24 including 19-7 in the third period while trying to protect the one-goal lead.
- SNHU went 0-for-1 on the power play- Assumption went 0-for-5. The Greyhounds had two opportunities in the final 4:30, including a brief two-man advantage.
- Freshman JT Kossakowski (Elburn, Ill.) picked up his first career win with 47 saves. This was his second start of the season.
- In addition to first-year netminder Kossakowski, freshmen contributed two goals and two assists in the win.
- This was the first of three regular season meetings between the NE10 rivals.
- The Penmen have won four of the last five to improve to 2-1-1 in league play.
- SNHU and Assumption College skate again in Worcester on Saturday at 6:05 p.m.
- The Penmen will return to the Ice Den on Saturday (November 24) when they host UMass Boston on the first day of the Manchester PAL/Stovepipe Tournament.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.