When and Where: September 22, 2018 – Manchester, N.H. (Larkin Field)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 7, Southern Connecticut State 3
Records: SNHU 2-3 (1-0 NE10), Southern Connecticut State 0-6 (0-3 NE10)
Junior Laura van der Doorn (Beverwijk, The Netherlands) scored her first three goals of the season and SNHU opened its conference season with a 7-3 win over So. Connecticut State on Saturday at Larkin Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- SCSU opened the scoring almost five minutes into the game on a rebound shot in front by Karley Welles.
- It took the Penmen only a few minutes to make it 1-1 when Sophomore Hélène Servais (Brussels, Belgium) notched her second of the season.
- van der Doorn netted her first goal of the game on a double deflection in front at 17:52 to put the Penmen in front for good.
- Redshirt-junior Cassidy Huckins (Loudon, N.H.) and Servais added goals before the end of the half to put SNHU up 4-1 at the break.
- The Owls would trim the lead to 4-3 with consecutive goals by Chloe Knight and Welles early in the second half.
- SNHU pulled away on consecutive goals by van der Doorn. Her third of the game came off a penalty corner started by Redshirt-junior Katelin Oberlander (West Yarmouth, Mass.)
- Junior Megan Lewis-Taylor (Nashua, N.H.) scored her first goal of the season, and third of her career, at 60:56 to put the Penmen up 7-3.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The win snapped a three-game losing streak for the Penmen.
- The Penmen outshot the Owls 50-4 and had a 9-1 advantage on penalty corners.
- Senior Melanie Rennie (Madison, Conn.) played the first half in net and sophomore Kate Pigsley (East Kingston, N.H.) played the second half
- van der Doorn's goals were her first of this season. She has 18 goals in three seasons with the Penmen.
- Huckins, who had two goals in the Bentley game on Wednesday, added a goal. She is tied with van der Doorn for a team-high three goals this season.
- Southern New Hampshire is back in action Sunday (Sept. 23) when it plays host to Molloy College at 2:00 p.m. in a non-conference tilt at Larkin Field.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.