When and Where: April 27, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Field)
Game 1 Score: Southern New Hampshire University 3, Assumption College 0
Game 2 Score: Southern New Hampshire University 5, Assumption College 0
Records: SNHU 32-10 (18-5 NE10, 13-3 NE10 NE), Assumption 23-16 (11-10 NE10, 8-8 NE10 NE)
Junior Wesley Tobin (Portsmouth, N.H.) and redshirt-junior Endy Morales (Holyoke, Mass.) each fired complete-game shutouts to lead the 15th-ranked Southern New Hampshire University baseball team to a doubleheader sweep of Assumption College on Saturday at Penmen Field. SNHU earned a 3-0 win in game one, before posting a 5-0 victory in the second game.
- Tobin (6-4) scattered four hits, while striking out 11 and walking just two.
- Morales (5-2) also allowed just four hits, as he punched out nine and walked a pair.
- Junior Tom Blandini (Bow, N.H.) went 4-for-7 with two walks, an RBI and a pair of runs scored in the doubleheader.
- Redshirt-sophomore Marcus Chavez (Queens, N.Y.) was 4-for-9 with three extra-base hits, three RBI and two runs scored.
- Sophomore Dakota Mulcay (Goffstown, N.H.) finished 3-for-8 with a walk, two RBI and a run.
- Redshirt-senior Kevin Alexy (Newton, Mass.) hit his second home run in as many contests in game one, going 3-for-9 with an RBI and a run scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 1
- Southern New Hampshire went ahead, 1-0, in the top of the fifth when Mulcay struck out, but reached on an error on the catcher to extend the inning. Freshman Alex Kennedy (Braintree, Mass.) made the Greyhounds pay, doubling to left-center to plate the game's first run.
- Assumption threatened in the bottom of the seventh, with back-to-back leadoff singles, followed by a sacrifice bunt and intentional walk, loading the bases with one out. Tobin worked out of the jam with back-to-back punchouts that would begin a string of eight-in-a-row retired.
- The Penmen made it 2-0 in the eighth on back-to-back two-out doubles from Blandini and Chavez.
- Alexy added an insurance run with another big two-out hit in the ninth, hitting a solo home run to center to make it 3-0.
- Tobin turned in his fifth 1-2-3 inning of the game to finish it off in the ninth.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE – GAME 1
- Kennedy finished 2-for-3 with a walk and an RBI.
- Alexy (HR, RBI, run) and sophomore Sam Henrie (Middleboro, Mass.) were both 2-for-5.
- Blandini was 1-for-2 with a pair of walks and a run.
- Mulcay (walk, run) and fellow sophomore Idelson Taveras (Lawrence, Mass.) both went 1-for-4.
- Chavez (RBI) and redshirt-junior Sean Doherty (Haverhill, Mass.) each turned in 1-for-5 performances.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 2
- Southern New Hampshire jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the third inning, with a leadoff walk to Taveras and a Blandini base hit starting it, before Chavez plated both runs with a double to right-center. Chavez moved to third on a groundout to the right side and came home on an RBI single from Mulcay.
- The Penmen pushed across another two-out run in the fourth, as redshirt-junior Joshua Goldstein (Haverhill, Mass.) doubled to right-center, moved to third when Taveras reached on an error by the third baseman and scored on Blandini's RBI base knock to left.
- SNHU extended its lead to 5-0 in the fifth when Chavez led off with a double to left and scored on Mulcay's RBI single through the left side.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE – GAME 2
- Chavez was 3-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored.
- Blandini went 3-for-5 with an RBI and scored a run.
- Mulcay finished 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI.
- Alexy and Goldstein (run) each turned in a 1-for-4 performance.
- The doubleheader was originally supposed to be played at Assumption, but field conditions necessitated the move to Penmen Field. The Greyhounds batted last in both games.
- Southern New Hampshire has won eight of its last 11, including four straight.
- The Penmen extend their winning streak versus Assumption to 16.
- SNHU improves to 12-3 at home this season and betters its record to 87-20 (.813) at Penmen Field since the start of the 2014 season.
- Tobin set down the first 11 batters he faced in game one.
- Morales faced the minimum through three in the second game.
- Alexy's home run was his third of the year and fourth of his career.
- Chavez is now 17-for-39 (.436) over his last 10 contests.
- The two teams wrap up the series Sunday (10 a.m.) at Assumption.
- SNHU returns home Tuesday, April 30 (6 p.m.) when it plays host to in-state rival Franklin Pierce University at Penmen Field.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.