When and Where: February 9, 2019 – San Bernardino, Calif. (Fiscalini Field)
Game 1 Score: California State University, San Bernardino 4, Southern New Hampshire University 3
Game 2 Score: California State University, San Bernardino 8, Southern New Hampshire University 5
Records: CSUSB 3-2, SNHU 1-2
Sophomore Sam Henrie (Middleboro, Mass.) turned in a 4-for-7 day at the plate, but the seventh-ranked Southern New Hampshire University baseball team was swept in doubleheader action by California State University, San Bernardino on Saturday night at Fiscalini Field to wrap up its three-game trip to the Golden State.
- Henrie also walked twice, collected an RBI and scored a run.
- Junior Phoenix Hernandez (Brooklyn, N.Y.) was the other Penmen with multiple hits, going 2-for-6 with a pair of walks and a run scored.
- Fellow junior Dylan Faircloth (Cleveland, Texas) recorded a pair of RBI and scored a run, while finishing 1-for-7 with a walk.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 1
- In the top of the first, Southern New Hampshire went up, 1-0, when junior Tom Blandini (Bow, N.H.) led off the game with a base hit to right, moved to second on a groundout by classmate Jake Coro (Johnston, R.I.), advanced to third on a single through the left side for Henrie and scored on an RBI groundout to third from Faircloth.
- The Coyotes evened the score against redshirt-junior Endy Morales (Holyoke, Mass.) in the home half of the inning, with Ty Lineberger drawing a leadoff walk, Jacob Allen being hit by a pitch and Gabe Chavez driving an RBI single up the middle.
- CSUSB went ahead, 2-1, in the third on a two-out RBI knock up the middle from Chavez, before a two-run home run from Ivan Ramos stretched the lead to 4-1 in the fifth.
- The score would stay that way until the ninth, when Henrie led off with a single up the middle, Faircloth was hit by a pitch and sophomore Dakota Mulcay (Goffstown, N.H.) drew a walk to load the bases with no outs. Following a strikeout, a wild pitch plated Henrie to make it a two-run game. A walk to Hernandez re-loaded the bases before a sacrifice fly off the bat of sophomore Idelson Taveras (Lawrence, Mass.) pulled the Penmen within 4-3 with two outs. The Coyotes would record a game-ending punchout, however, to escape with the win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE – GAME 1
- Henrie went 3-for-4 with a run scored.
- Coro was 1-for-3.
- Blandini (run) and redshirt-junior Joshua Goldstein (Haverhill, Mass.) both finished 1-for-4.
- Morales (0-1) allowed four runs on seven hits, while striking out five and walking two, over six innings.
- Graduate student Chris Murphy (Billerica, Mass.) walked one in an otherwise-perfect pair of frames, striking out three in his Penmen debut.
- CSUSB's Blake Timm allowed one run on five hits, striking out three and not walking a batter in eight innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 2
- Faircloth put Southern New Hampshire on top, 1-0, in the top of the first with a two-out RBI single to left that scored Goldstein, who was hit by a pitch before stealing second to put himself in scoring position.
- SNHU grabbed two more runs in the second, with Hernandez setting up the inning with a double to center, before scoring on a single to center off the bat of grad student John Stanton (Sandwich, Mass.). Stanton then moved to third on a bunt single by Taveras and scored on a balk to stretch the lead to 3-0.
- Henrie extended the lead to 4-0 in the fourth with a two-out, run-scoring single to left that plated Blandini, who walked, stole second and advanced to third on a Goldstein groundout.
- Junior Wesley Tobin (Portsmouth, N.H.) struck out the first batter he faced in the fourth for the seventh punch out of his outing, as he retired 10-in-a-row to open the game. He then walked Allen, however, before Chavez followed with a single. Tobin came close to getting out of the jam, as he struck out his eighth of the day, but a wild pitch put a pair in scoring position before Kyle Csakan swatted a three-run homer to left. Garrett Ouellette then drove a solo shot out to right in the next at bat and just like that, the game was tied, 4-4.
- The Coyotes went ahead, 6-4, in the sixth, with Rylan Cratsenberg's two-out, two-run single to right doing the damage and ending Tobin's night.
- A pair of eighth-inning errors brought in two more runs for CSUSB, which opened up an 8-4 advantage going to the ninth.
- In the ninth, senior Joshua Zbierski (Stafford Springs, Conn.) hammered a two-out solo home run to left-center, but that was as close as the Penmen would get.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE – GAME 2
- Hernandez went 2-for-3 with a walk and a run.
- Henrie (two walks, run) and Stanton (RBI, run) were both 1-for-3.
- Faircloth (walk, RBI) and Taveras each finished 1-for-4.
- Zbierski was 1-for-5 with the home run, an RBI and a run scored.
- Tobin (0-1) relinquished six runs on six hits, while fanning a career-best 10 and walking just one, over five-and-two-thirds innings.
- Redshirt-sophomore Alex Gomes (Peabody, Mass.) gave up two runs – both unearned – on two hits, striking out one and walking a batter in an inning-and-a-third.
- Senior Hayden Manning (Portland, Conn.) walked one in an otherwise-perfect inning.
- Sunday's game was moved to make Saturday a doubleheader, in order to beat the expected inclement weather that was threatening the series finale.
- Zbierski's home run is his second of the season and 12th of his career.
- Henrie's three-hit game in the opener was the second of his career.
- The Penmen return to action Thursday, Feb. 21 (6 p.m.) when they open a five-game trip to Myrtle Beach, S.C., against Long Island University-LIU Post.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.