When and Where: September 5, 2018 – New London, N.H. (Kelsey Courts)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 5, Colby-Sawyer College 4
Records: SNHU 1-1, CSC 1-2
Senior Sofia Morais (Porto, Portugal) and freshman Alexxa Etienne (Bayamon, Puerto Rico) each earned a pair of points, as the Southern New Hampshire University women's tennis team edged out Colby-Sawyer College, 5-4, Wednesday.
- Morais was a 6-1, 6-1 winner over Maddy Gemerek at No. 2 singles, while she and classmate Anna Sala (Matadepera, Spain) doubled up Yashu Yang and Anna Kopituk, 8-4, at No. 1 doubles.
- Etienne earned her first collegiate win with a 6-2, 6-0 triumph over Aislinn O'Connor at No. 3 singles. She also teamed with senior Rachel Wagner (Framingham, Mass.) to defeat Gemerek and O'Connor, 8-3, at No. 2 doubles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Penmen led, 2-1, after doubles, with wins from Morais, Etienne and freshman Elizabeth Dwyer (Cutchogue, N.Y.), who took down Alexa Conlin, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 5 singles, putting the Penmen in front, 5-1.
- With the match already clinched, wins by Colby-Sawyer at Nos. 4 and 6 made it closer with daylight nearly all but gone, before Yang knocked off Sala, 6-4, 7-6 (9-7) at No. 1.
- The match was played under the "old" rules, in which each doubles flight counts as a separate point.
- The Penmen are back in action Saturday, Sept. 8 (10 a.m.) when they travel to Merrimack College.
- The next home match for SNHU is Tuesday, Sept. 18 (3 p.m.) when it plays host to Bentley University in Northeast-10 action.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.