When and Where: September 1, 2018 – Hooksett, N.H. (SNHU Tennis Courts at Penmen Stadium)
Score: New York Institute of Technology 7, Southern New Hampshire University 0
Records: NYIT 2-0, SNHU 0-1
Senior Anna Sala (Matadepera, Spain) fought hard at No. 1 singles, but the Southern New Hampshire University women's tennis team was upended by the New York Institute of Technology, 7-0, Saturday in its season opener at the SNHU Tennis Courts at Penmen Stadium.
- Sala battled, but lost in the top singles flight to Barbie Quagliardi, 7-5, 6-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- NYIT jumped out to an early lead following doubles, with senior Rachel Wagner (Framingham, Mass.) and freshman Elizabeth Dwyer (Cutchogue, N.Y.) playing Diane Baumgartnera and Kaitlyn Byrnes tough at No. 2 doubles, but falling, 6-4, after the doubles point had been decided.
- The Bears then swept singles, with Cosima Hoch earning a win at No. 4 to seal it.
- Rule changes in the offseason aligned Division II with their Division I counterparts, with all three doubles decisions being worth one point, rather than three separate points.
- NYIT finished last season ranked fifth in the ITA East Region Rankings, while Southern New Hampshire was 10th.
- The Penmen are back in action Wednesday, Sept. 5 (4 p.m.) when they travel to Colby-Sawyer College.
- The next home match for SNHU is Tuesday, Sept. 18 (3 p.m.) when it plays host to Bentley University in Northeast-10 action.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.