Women's Basketball Named to WBCA Academic Top 25 for Second Straight Year
ATLANTA – The Southern New Hampshire University women's basketball team was honored by the Women's Basketball Coaches' Association (WBCA) for being one of the top programs in the country in the classroom on Thursday. The Penmen were named to the WBCA Academic Top 25 for compiling one of the top team grade point averages in NCAA Division II in 2013-14. A total of 110 programs in all three NCAA divisions, along with the NAIA and junior colleges, were honored. It marks the second straight year that the Penmen have made the list.
SNHU checks in as the highest of two Northeast-10 schools on the list and at No. 16 overall with a 3.569 team GPA for the 2013-14 academic year, placing it No. 16 in Division II. Ten women's basketball student-athletes compiled at least a 3.0 GPA in the fall semester, while nine players did so in the spring. In addition, sophomore Erin Doherty (Marshfield, Mass.) was named to the Northeast-10 All-Academic Team in women's basketball this past season.
The WBCA Academic Top 25 annually recognizes women's basketball teams across the nation in NCAA Divisions I, II and III, the NAIA, and junior/community colleges that carry the highest combined grade point averages (GPAs) inclusive of all student-athletes on their rosters for the entire season. The 2013-14 season is the 19th in which the WBCA has produced the honor rolls.
"Being a student-athlete is a challenging feat, but at the same time it is also very rewarding and to see the GPA's that these institutions have collected is impressive," said WBCA COO Shannon Reynolds. "The WBCA congratulates all of these student-athletes and their coaches for their hard work and dedication."
Founded in 1981, the Women's Basketball Coaches Association promotes women's basketball by unifying coaches at all levels to develop a reputable identity for the sport and to foster and promote the development of the game as a sport for women and girls. For more information on the WBCA, please visit wbca.org.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter (@snhupenmen), Facebook (www.facebook.com/snhupenmen), Youtube (www.youtube.com/snhupenmen) and Instagram (www.instagram.com/snhupenmen). Sign up to receive text message alerts and email newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here: http://www.snhupenmen.com/list-signup
2013-14 WBCA Academic Top 25 – NCAA Division II
1) Upper Iowa University – 3.801
2) Ohio Dominican University – 3.793
3) Lindenwood University – 3.759
4) Colorado Mesa University – 3.699
5) University of Indianapolis – 3.657
6) Montana State University Billings – 3.656
7) Lubbock Christian University – 3.648
8) Saginaw Valley State University – 3.610
9) Ashland University – 3.605
10) Minnesota State University Moorhead – 3.604
11) Drury University – 3.599
12) Winona State University – 3.593
13) Southwest Baptist University – 3.584
14) Northwood University – 3.582
15) Seattle Pacific University – 3.572
16) Southern New Hampshire University – 3.569
17) University of Minnesota Duluth – 3.563
18) Lee University – 3.559
19) Merrimack College – 3.552
20) Gannon University – 3.550
21) Minnesota State University, Mankato – 3.540
22) University of Findlay – 3.531
23) Rockhurst University – 3.523
24) Michigan Technological University – 3.522
25) Trevecca Nazarene University – 3.521