#12 Men’s Soccer Upended by Southern Connecticut, 2-1


When and Where: September 27, 2017 – Manchester, N.H. (Larkin Field)
Southern Connecticut State University 2, Southern New Hampshire University 1
Records: SCSU 5-1-2 (3-0-2 NE10), SNHU 6-1-1 (3-1-1 NE10),

Junior Alex Satrustegui (Pamplona, Spain) scored for the seventh time in eight matches this year, but the 12th-ranked Southern New Hampshire University men's soccer team was clipped, 2-1, by Southern Connecticut State University on Wednesday afternoon at Larkin Field.

Southern Connecticut drew first blood 11:15 into the match as Ignasi Cererols sent a perfect through-ball up the right side of the field, threading the needle for Louis Greenway-Tambini, who sent a long, low shot that ricocheted off the inside of the far post and into the back of the net.

Southern New Hampshire netted the equalizer in the 27th minute when freshman Kiko Hernandez (Madrid, Spain) hit a long pass across midfield from right to left and into the box where Satrustegui took one touch and booted the ball into the right side of the net to make it 1-1.

The Owls went back in front just under five minutes later as Greenway-Tambini's cross from the left set up Devante Teixeira, who finished the sequence with a shot into the right side of the net that put the visitors up, 2-1.

The Penmen nearly tied it with just over three minutes remaining before the half when sophomore Romain Daniellou (Brest, France) forced a turnover and redshirt-junior Matt Crowley (Cumberland, Maine) ended up with the ball on the right side of the box, but his curling shot sailed just wide of the far post.

Junior goalkeeper Daniel Milton (Ajax, Ontario) kept it a one-goal game just over four minutes into the second half when he stoned Blaise Haba at the right post after a deflected shot had looked to give the Owl an empty right-half of the net to work with.

SNHU kept the pressure on and had a pair of dangerous chances down the stretch. In the 70th minute, Hernandez sent another long ball over the top of the defense to Satrustegui, who ran onto it in the left side of the box and volleyed it to the near post, but Southern Connecticut goalkeeper Noah Varonier punched it away.

Satrustegui was at it again in the 83rd minute, as his header from the left side of the box off a loose ball in front looked to be the equalizer, but the ball caromed off the far post.

Milton made three saves, while Varonier stopped four shots.

- The Penmen see their seven-match unbeaten streak to begin the season come to a close.
- Satrustegui's strike was his seventh of the season in his first year with the Penmen.
- Hernandez notched his first collegiate point with the assist.
- Southern New Hampshire held a 13-10 edge in shots, including 10-4 in the second half, while corner kicks were even, 5-5.
- SNHU is now 76-9-7 (.864) over its last 92 matches dating back to the beginning of the 2013 National Championship season, while it is unbeaten in 63 of its last 69 (59-6-4; .884) at home.

Up Next:
The Penmen return to action Saturday, Sept. 30 (3 p.m.) when they take on third-ranked Adelphi University. SNHU is back home Saturday, Oct. 7 (7 p.m.) when they play host to American International at Larkin Field. 

For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on TwitterFacebookYoutube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.